Oh no. You’ve only had your new living room decor for a few weeks and there’s already a stain on it. Those of us with kids and pets know that this scenario is all too common.
But you don’t have to worry! Here at Fireside Furniture in Pompton Plains, our furniture experts have some helpful tips to keep your furniture clean, pristine, and looking like some of best living room furniture in New Jersey for years to come.
Identify, Treat, and Remove
There are several types of stains you might encounter when trying to keep your furniture clean. Here are a few tips for removing the most common upholstery stains:
- Start by scraping off any excess food or dirt. Be careful to use a tool that won’t damage fibers!
- Blot the area with a clean cloth dipped in warm water. Rub the cloth onto the furniture in a circular motion.
- For water-based stains, you will want to use the damp cloth to blot the stain from the outside in.
- If the stain persists, such as in the case of oil or cosmetics-based stains, mix a tablespoon of dish soap with two cups of water and dab it onto the stained area. Let it sit for about five minutes before blotting it with a wet cloth.
- Finally, dry the area with a paper towel. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any excess moisture. Allow the furniture to dry completely before using it again.
- If you have a pet hairball on your upholstery, you can try lightly misting the area with water. Then use your dish soap solution to create a foam that will loosen the hairball. Blot the area with a cloth and then use a vacuum cleaner to remove it.
Protect Your Furniture
In order to keep your new upholstered furniture one of the best couches of 2022 and beyond, you’ll want to consider steps to protect your beautiful new investment. Damage to upholstery is not only unsightly, but it can also lead to costly repairs or replacement. To protect your furniture:
- Use fabric stain repellent to help prevent stains from setting in the first place. If your living room furniture does get stained, be sure to treat the spot as soon as possible.
- Avoid vacuuming upholstery with the rotating brush of your vacuum cleaner. Instead, use the soft bristle attachment to avoid causing damage.
- If possible, keep it out of reach or in an area away from children and pets.
Clean Your Furniture Regularly
To avoid stains and keep your upholstery looking its best, you’ll need to clean it regularly. Of course, it’s best to take your furniture to a professional upholstery cleaner, but you can do it yourself if you’re willing to put in a little time and effort. This will extend the life of your living room decor and enhance its beauty for years to come.
If you’re looking for a new piece of furniture for your home, make sure to come and visit our showroom at 695 Route 23 S, Pompton Plains, NJ. You can also reach us with any questions at 973-831-8311. Come see us today!