Our philosophy of home design here at Fireside Furniture takes into account more than just the individual pieces of furniture in your home. We look at the overall style of the home, the color palettes being used, even whether your prefer leather or fabric upholstery on your couches. One piece of the puzzle to overall home design is what’s the floor: carpet, hardwood, or area rugs.
In this article, we’re going to do a deep into area rugs, and how to best place them in your home.
How To Use Area Rugs
Area rugs can add style, warmth, and comfort to any room in your house. But with so many different sizes, shapes, and colors to choose from, it can be tricky to know where to start. Here is a guide on how to place area rugs in your bedroom, living room, dining room, den, and family room:
Area Rugs In The Bedroom
The most important thing to consider when placing an area rug in your bedroom is the size and placement of your bed. If you have a large bed, you’ll want to choose a rug that is large enough to fit under the bed and extend at least 12 inches on all sides. If you have a smaller bed, you can place the rug at the foot of the bed or partially under the bed.
Here are a few tips for placing an area rug in your bedroom:
- If you are placing the rug under the bed, make sure that the bed is centered on the rug.
- On the other hand, if the rug will lie at the foot of the bed, leave enough space between the bed and the rug so that you can easily walk around.
- For a small bedroom, you can try placing a smaller rug in front of the bed or dresser.
- If you have a large bedroom, you can try layering two rugs of different sizes and colors.
Using An Area Rug In Your Living Room
The living room is another popular place to place area rugs. When choosing a rug for your living room, consider the size of the room and the arrangement of your furniture.
Here are a few tips for placing an area rug in your living room:
- For a larger living room, make sure to choose a rug that is large enough to fit all of your furniture on top of it. A rug that is too small will look awkward and will throw off the entire “feel” of the room.
- If you have a smaller living room, still make sure to choose a rug that is large enough to fit under the front legs of your sofa and chairs. (Check out more “small space solutions” here.)
- A fireplace is a great complement to an area rug: place the rug in front of the fireplace to create a focal point. (For more on fireplace style, check out this blog post.)
- Place the rug under a coffee table (if you have one) to create a cozy space for entertaining guests. Looking for a coffee table? Check this one out, as part of a great entertainment console.
Dining Room Area Rug
We’ll keep banging this drum: when you’re choosing an area rug for your dining room, it is important to make sure that the rug is large enough to fit under the dining table and all of the chairs. The rug should also be large enough to allow the chairs to be pulled out from the table without going off the rug.
Also, you will want to center the rug under the dining table, while leaving at least 12 inches of space between the edge of the rug and the wall.
And of course, if you’re looking for a great dining set, check out our inventory!
Area Rugs For Use In the Den or Family Room
The den or family room is a great place to relax and unwind, and will be a place when you’ll spend a lot of time with friends or family. Usually this will be a bit less formal than a living room, and there will be more fun times here, especially with children. When choosing an area rug for your den, consider the size of the room and the type of furniture you have.
Here are a few tips for placing an area rug in your den:
- The size of the room will matter a lot here: choose a smaller rug to create a cozy space, or in a larger room, choose a larger rug to define different areas of the room, such as a sitting area and a reading area.
- As noted in the section on living rooms, if the den of your house has a fireplace, place the rug in front of it to create a focal point.
- Similarly, if you have a coffee table, you can place the rug under the coffee table to create a space for entertaining guests.
Keep In Mind When Placing Area Rugs
There are a few things to always keep in mind, regardless of where you’re putting the rug. When choosing an area rug, consider the overall style of your room. The rug should complement the other furniture and décor in the room.
In addition, if you have a high-traffic area, choose a rug that is durable and easy to clean. Finally, if you have children or pets (think of the den or family referenced above), you might want to choose a rug that is stain-resistant.
Visit Fireside Furniture For Your Home Needs
As noted above, a great rug can add style, warmth, and protection to your floors. By following these tips, you can place your area rugs in a way that will enhance the look and feel of your entire home. You can also improve your home with some new furniture, so come check out our showroom on Route 23 in Pompton Plains, New Jersey!